Imagine. Connect. Act.
Gather people together to connect by playing games! It’s a great way to get everyone laughing and talking to each other more quickly than basic introductions. You can choose games like Jenga, Scrabble, Heads Up, or you could organize sporting and active games. Whatever is fun and joyful for you will certainly appeal to others, too!
- Have plenty of games set up. You could also ask attendees to bring their own favorite games.
- If possible, some snacks and refreshments are great to have on hand, and your group may be able to help with that as well.
- Welcome participants: make signs, have a volunteer at the venue entrance to direct people, and have nametags ready.
- Start playing some games! It helps to have someone at the game table to get the games started.
- Once you’ve gotten to play, start a discussion to get everyone thinking about how they can make positive change in the community
- You can also review our guide for some ideas on how to facilitate this type of event.
- Optional: nametags, conversation cards, event sign-in
Alter the games to have an idealist twist on them! For example allow only positive words to be played in Scrabble. Or add random acts of kindness prompts to your Jenga pieces and then whenever someone picks a piece, they complete the task before placing it back on top.
Other ideas for tweaking a game? Or have you done this activity for Idealist Day? Tell us about it in the comments below!