Pick an inspiring film or documentary to watch together. The movie can be used to inspire a discussion afterwards about topics in your community and what actions participants might want to take.
We hosted a movie night at the Idealist offices in New York City.
- Select a film that touches on some topic related to making an impact in your community. It could be a fictional film or a documentary.
- Having refreshments and some mingling time at the beginning of the event is great to get people connected and allows a little extra time for any latecomers. Consider an organized game or ice breaker to help people meet each other.
- Gather attendees together.
- Introduce yourself, who are you, what are Idealist Days and why you are inspired by to participate.
- Introduce the movie, why you chose it, and a few questions you’d like viewers to consider while watching the film.
- Watch the film!
- When the movie ends, start a discussion. A few questions to get the conversation started:
- What stood out to you in the movie?
- Did the movie spark any new ideas for you?
- Could the ideas explored in the film apply to projects that you might want to carry out in your own community?
- Screen or projector or way to watch the film
- Speakers to make sure everyone can hear
- Chairs or comfortable seating
- Popcorn! It’s not a movie without popcorn. (Or other snacks of your choice.)
Add a suggested donation for attendees to contribute to an organization! The suggested donation could be money, or it could be a donation of goods, like socks, blankets, canned food or something else related to issues addressed in the film.
Do you have a great movie suggestion or other tips for this type of event? Please share them in the comments below!